Browse Overview Sections
We pledge our lives to Christ and covenant with each other to demonstrate His Spirit through worship, witnessing, and ministry to the needs of the people of this church and the community.
Please prayerfully consider giving online to support our church ministries. Donations may be made on our online giving page.
Church Overview - History of First Baptist Church
In 1895, a group of Christian brothers and sisters banded together in a little wooden structure and organized the First Baptist Church, Reynoldstown. Rev. Rufus Savage was the pastor.

Rev. Lonnie Jones led the church from the wooden structure on Baptist Avenue (now called Renfroe St.) to the basement on Kenyon Street, Reynoldstown. In 1917, under the leadership of Rev. C. C. Holt, the church moved from the basement.

During the subsequent years, the church continued under the leadership of Rev. Louis Foster, Rev. A. L. Collins, and Rev. George. In the 40’s the church was clear of all its indebtedness under the leadership of the late Rev. J. S. Dixon, who was followed by Rev. Henderson. Rev. F. L. Taylor, a member of First Baptist Church, after being ordained a minister, was elected by the membership to pastor First Baptist. He served until his death. Rev. Billups followed Rev. Taylor and was called to serve for a short period of time after which Rev. R. W. Freeman was called to pastor by the membership. After becoming too ill to serve, the membership prayed for God to send them another pastor.

In the year of 1969 on April 11, the Lord answered our prayers by sending us a “great” preacher, Reverend E. J. Jester, Sr., whose leadership is evidenced by his influence in helping to bring lost souls to Christ and numerous other accomplishments for the church and the community. In November, 1973 under the capable leadership of Pastor Jester, the church moved to its present structure . . . 2394 Gresham Road, S. E., Atlanta, Georgia, 30316. In 1983, the church body decided to erect a new cornerstone. In 1999, the church was incorporated and granted tax exempt status {501(c)3} under the present name of First Baptist Church-Gresham Road, Inc. As a stepping stone to creating a platform for learning, the First Baptist Board of Christian Education was instrumental in naming the former scout hut, the E. J. Jester, Sr. Christian Education Center. The membership is proud of this well-equipped edifice. The campus now consists of a sanctuary, a child development center, classrooms, administrative offices, a family center a library, a fellowship hall, a commercial kitchen, a playground, and a community chapel. During the 112th celebration, First Baptist dedicated the original church bell as a part of our church history.

Following the retirement of Pastor E. J. Jester in 2007, Rev. Russell Odom was called to First Baptist in February 2008. By mutual consent with the Church, Rev. Odom terminated his tenure with First Baptist, in July 2008.

In 2008, during the 114th year of our church, God led Rev. Norman H. Thomas, Jr. to First Baptist Church and was elected by the members of First Baptist Church to serve as their pastor. On Sunday, January 11, 2009, Rev. Thomas and the First Baptist Church family embarked on their union between pastor and church. He was installed on Sunday, March 8, 2009. Under his leadership, renovations have been made, the church membership has grown, and various ministries have been revitalized and aligned to the five purposes of the church including, Children’s Church, the Brotherhood, Women’s, New Members’, Married Couples’, and Teen’s Ministries. We praise God for the Angel he has placed in this house to continue to lead and serve His people.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY, GREAT THINGS HE HAS DONE!

First Baptist Church on Gresham Road © 2017 | Privacy Policy
website by Truevine
Home  |  About Us  |  Ministries  |  Spiritual Walk  |  Members  |  Contact Us